The History of Pfeffingen
The word "Pfeffingen" is supposed to have derived from Germanic origin. It was the clan of the "Pfeffo" that founded this community. Founded as the original community between 500 and 600 AD, Pfeffingen was the starting point for the settlement of this region.
Therefore this settlement was of great significance for the future. During the Middle Ages, Pfeffingen was not only a judicial (court of justice, jail) and religious centre (mother church St.Peter with three branch chapels and churchyard) but also the centre of economical trade.
In the late Middle Ages, all the communities which belonged to the court of justice of Pfeffingen were called "County of Pfeffingen". In 1506, the Dukes of Leiningen got this estate and could keep it until the French Revolution in 1789. On January 22nd 1828, Johann Fitz (Bad Dürkheim) bought the churchyard of Pfeffingen at an auction for 1500 florins.
He tore down the church and changed the vicarage into an economic enterprise. On May 27th 1832, there was the "Hambacher Fest" a sign of protest against the oppression by the Bavarian Government. Johann Fitz (Pfeffingen), also called the Red Fitz, was the one to carry the wine-growers´ flag to the Hambach Castle.